We will join parishes throughout SE Michigan and serve Christ by ministering to our community. This year we have COVID-friendly opportunities to aid the 20 homeless families at the Samaritas Westland Homeless Shelter for families. With COVID and rising rents prices, the average stay has risen from 4 months to 6 months. Approximately 50 to 60 children of all ages live at the shelter.
SHELTER SHOWER – to supply critically needed items at the Shelter, will be held from September 30 through October 14th. You may drop items off in the large bins in the Gathering Space.
Samaritas works to help families find permanent homes. So we are requesting items for the Shelter and also to give to families when they move out to permanent homes.
- Tall Laundry Hamper or Tall Kitchen Plastic Garbage Can containing a mop, broom and dustpan (we will add other donated products to give to families when they move out)
- Dish Soap, cleaning product (e.g., bleach, fabuloso, windex), sponges
- Paper Towels (1-2 rolls), Soap, Toilet Paper (2 to 4 rolls), Facial Tissue
- $25 to $50 gift cards to Walmart, Target or Kroger (given to families who come in with nothing or families going to their permanent homes)
- Towels & Washcloths
- Small set of Dishes (new or gently used)
- Pot/Pan with cooking utensil(s)
- Large size diapers
- Pull Ups (all sizes)
- Books for teens or adults (new or gently used)
- Large box of individual snack items (watch expiration dates)
- Large boxes of powdered laundry detergent
- Sensitive skin/allergy clear detergent
Please contact Bonnie Reyes at [email protected] if you have questions.
Please prayerfully consider how you and your family can best participate in Mercy-in-Action this year. Please pray for the families at the shelter.